Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Patchwork Duvet Cover

A couple years ago, my husband bought me Amy Butlers book "In Stitches". This opened a whole new sewing world to me. Her fabrics and projects are amazing! Suddenly handmade didn't look so hokey. Her splashy colors and bold prints fit right in with my fresh and breezy decorating style.
There is a duvet cover idea in the book that got my creative juices going. I'm not really one to follow directions so I decided to come up with my own design. I went to our local quilting stores and a couple online resources to collect the fabric. Some I got on sale, others I cringed and paid full price. But when all is said and done, I think it's better than any Pottery Barn quilt out there. I had the joy of creating it and it was just a fraction of the cost!
When my daughter turned two we figured it was time for her to move into her big girl room so when our next baby was born we could place him in the nursery. Brett surprised me by painting what used to be the office pink (our daughters choice) and he set up most of the furniture. That spurred me on to finish the duvet.
.
With the left over fabric I made a pillow, crib bumper and quilt for her doll cradle. The doll cradle was mine when I was little. Brett freshened it up with a coat of white paint.

I have to say, this duvet is one of my favorite projects ever. Her new bed is actually the bed my dad grew up with. My brothers and I took turns sleeping in it as well. This is the third generation getting use out of it. I love the history! I know it's a little beat up, but those nicks and scars are part of our sweet childhood memories. This bed is sure to continue the legacy of sweet dreams as well.

2 comments: